Half a Rupee Stories is a book written by Gulzar and translated by Sunjoy Shekhar. If you have ever heard a song written by Gulzar then i am sure you must be his fan ! He is a world renowned poet, lyricist and director. The language used by him is simple and easy to understand and most of all it has the power to touch the heart.
Half a Rupee Stories is a collection of 25 short stories. I will say that it is a collection of 25 gems. Each story touches the heart and leaves a message for the soul. It has real life lessons learned after years of experience. Some stories are filled with suspense and thrill while others highlight the various issues faced in life in a unique way. It has real life stories of Javed Akthar (his nick-name is Jaadu :)), Sahir Ludhianvi and Kuldip Nayyar. Many locations of the stories are located around the border regions. There are also some stories of Mumbai. The best thing which i liked about this book is that it shows us how to find a bigger and higher meaning from our daily experiences. It shows how to look at life from a broader perspective. Thus i will say that this book is a must-read !
All the stories in a line –
- A story based of faith, trust and miracle.
- How 100 rupees changed someone’s life !
- A story of friendship.
- A story of slum for the perspective of the people living there.
- Rain and flood.
- A boat-cleaner can also be a king.
- A glimpse of the life of the people who live on the footpath.
- Connection across LoC.
- All for a ram fight !
- Hilsa fish and the newspaper headline.
- How wars affect lives and souls !
- Story from paradise-Kashmir.
- A freedom fighter’s life.
- A swayamwar.
- “Half a Rupee”
- God is a superman.
- Love story between a bird and a kite.
- Lessons from an orange.
- Shortcut, an accident, fate.
- The biggest pickpocket.
- Grandparents love.
- Grandpa’s love for grandchild.
- The transformation.