Recently i came to know about this 80-20 Rule. Before writing anything else i would share the definition of this Rule from the Wikipedia.
The Pareto principle (also known as the 80–20 rule, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
In the first go, it may sound a bit strange but it is true almost all the time (leaving a few exceptions !). And the best thing that i find about this rule is that it is applicable in all spheres of life. It applies to management, computers, work and overall to life in general. Let me give a few examples of this rule –
- 80% of the time we call 20% people saved in the mobile.
- 80% of errors are found in 20% of the program
- 80% of time is spent in executing 20% of a program
- 80% of the time we wear 20% clothes in our wardrobe
- 80% people get their salary due to 20% people
- 80% of the time we go to 20% of the restaurants
- 80% of the time we can remember only 20% of what we read
- 80% of the time we read books of 20% authors
- 80% of success comes from 20% of hard work
- 80% of the time we listen to 20% song of the playlist
- 80% of the time we interact with 20% of our friends
- 80% of the time we use only 20% of the software installed in PC/laptop
- 80% of the time we visit 20% of the websites
- 80% of the time only 20% people are able to fulfill their goals ( 😦 but true !)
- 80% of satisfaction comes from 20% of work
- 80% of happiness is due to 20% of moments of life
- 80% of the time we think of 20% of things
The vast applicability of this rule is amazing. I like it due to this reason. The list of its applications is actually endless. As we think of this rule we can think of more and more varied applications of it.
Please share your examples of this wonderful rule in comments.